[Ohiogift] Smarick: Helping our most talented students

Margaret DeLacy margaretdelacy at comcast.net
Thu Dec 19 20:59:44 EST 2013

Friends:

The following book was intended for philanthropists, but it contains recommendations that are of interest to policy makers and the gifted education community.

It is available for free download (.pdf) from the Philanthropy Roundtable.  Device downloads are also available.  I think you have to order print versions directly from the Roundtable.

The title and an excerpt are below.

Margaret

http://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/guidebook/closing_americas_high_achievement_gap/k_12_education

Andy Smarick: The High-achievement Gap
A Wise Giver's Guide to Helping Our Most Talented Students Reach Their Full Potential  (2013)
published by the Philanthropy Roundtable

Our research for this project left us with the strong conviction that the
education of our quickest learners is not only completely ignored by most
education reformers, but also lacks the basic understandings that are needed
to begin changing this dire situation. As Chester Finn puts it, “This field is
troubled from top to bottom. There’s been little research. Leaders shy away
from providing good definitions of giftedness. We don’t know how many
kids we’re talking about. Or how many are getting adequate service. There’s
no effective lobbying.”