[Ohiogift] Summer Martin W. Essex School

Sandra Warren Sandra at arliebooks.com
Tue Nov 12 09:35:43 EST 2013

Parents and Educators,

The Martin Essex School for the Gifted and Talented is a WONDERFUL
opportunity and a TREMENDOUS HONOR for your gifted high school student,
should they be fortunate enough to selected to attend. My daughter attended
way back in 1984--yikes can it really be that long ago?--and it changed her
life. Not only was she with 60 of her peers in gifted, which stimulated her
socially as she had never been stimulated before, she had multiple college
professors at her fingertips offering her glimpses into a world of
opportunities she never knew existed.

BTW--she attended kicking and screaming not wanting to give up a week in
her Summer to be with a bunch of nerds (her words) but couldn't thank me
and my husband enough afterwards for making her accept the award and
attend. She found 59 other gifted students just like herself who weren't
afraid to discuss current issues, religion, politics, the novels they were
reading or their passion to collect rocks or study the constellations or
whatever they were in to. The atmosphere was so stimulating she didn't want
to sleep.

How did she end up? She attended Miami University where an opportunity to
do REAL research as an undergrad was made available to her. While taking
advantage of that opportunity, she made a break-through in heart cell
mutation research in chick embryos which led to being recruited for her
Ph.D. at the University of Iowa, a post-doc at Harvard's Mass General where
she ended up running the Cardiac-research lab for six years. Today she's a
professor at Roger Williams University.

I can't say that she did all of this BECAUSE of her experience at The
Martin Essex School for the Gifted and Talented, but it certainly
influenced her confidence in accepting opportunities that came her way.

Parents, talk to your gifted coordinators and/or teachers and ask them to
nominate your high school junior. It just may change your gifted child's
life.

Regards,
Sandra Warren

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Art Snyder <artsnyder44 at cs.com> wrote:

> *Hello from the Martin W. Essex School for the Gifted and Talented™* *at
> Otterbein University.*
>
> The 2014 Martin W. Essex School for the Gifted and
> Talented™ at Otterbein University offers rising high
> school juniors and seniors opportunities for career
> exploration through a unique program comprised of
> classes, seminars and workshops on the arts, sciences
> and humanities. Taking place in multiple venues throughout
> Otterbein’s campus, this residential program encourages
> social interaction and peer discussion so that students can
> be challenged intellectually and artistically and develop a
> better understanding of the role of their abilities and talents
> in their lives and in society. *Dates: June 15-21, 2014*.
>
> *Attached is the 2014 Essex flyer and registration packet.*
>
> *The registration packet is due by January 16, 2014. *
> For general information, call (614) 823-1570.
>
> *To see highlights from previous events, visit
> www.otterbein.edu/essex-video <http://www.otterbein.edu/essex-video>.*
>
> Kathy Ullom
> KUllom at otterbein.edu
> Assistant to the Dean for the School of Arts & Sciences
> Otterbein University | (614) 823-1570 | fax (614) 823-1717
>

> *Via Pat Naveau Naveau.Pat at coldwatercavs.org
> <Naveau.Pat at coldwatercavs.org>*

*It's HERE! *-- *Arlie the Alligator *on eBook and Amazon - same story -
wonderful songs -NEW illustrations all newly packaged! Check it out on
Amazon.com

Arlie Book Trailer:   http://youtu.be/UtTxiIkHdWc

Author of Arlie the Alligator and other books for children and adults!
www.sandrawarren.com
www.arliebooks.com
http://sandrawarrenwrites.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/SandraWarrenNC