[Ohiogift] OAGC Advocacy update

anngift at aol.com anngift at aol.com
Tue Jun 4 20:43:46 EDT 2013

Advocacy Alert – June 4, 2013 – The Senate Finance Committee accepted an omnibusamendment today which detailed the changes the Senate has made to the educationfunding formula. While some of the changes had been outlined last week in aSenate press conference, no details were shared about the individual componentswithin the formula. While it is not easy to read the omnibus amendment, itappears that the Senate did not change the gifted funding component from theHouse version. This is good news. The Senate, however, did eliminate the giftedcost study, which is both surprising and disappointing.

The Senate Financecommittee will vote the bill out of committee tomorrow morning and the fullsenate will vote on the bill Thursday, June 6, 2013. At that point the billheads to conference committee. Conference committee will include six members ofthe Ohio General Assembly: two Republicans and one Democrat from both the OhioHouse. While there will be some public hearings, most of the deliberations willoccur behind closed doors. That does not mean that our voices will not beheard.  Once we know who is appointed tothe conference committee, we will begin our advocacy efforts to maintain the giftedfunding formula and to restore the House version of sub-group accountability aswell as the gifted cost study.

If any other changes affectinggifted students become apparent when the actual bill language is released, Iwill let you know.  For now, we will needto wait and see if any additional changes are made to the Senate bill.