[Ohiogift] gifted parents as advocates

Rosado Feger, Ana rosadof at ohio.edu
Tue May 28 13:46:26 EDT 2013

As parents, we are the single most important advocate our children will ever have.  I have just gone through a rather crazy-making, but in the end successful exercise in combining acceleration and credit flex.  (THANK YOU GIFTED COORDINATOR!)  We initiated the process after our son participated in NUMATS this year.

The greatest challenge of managing your gifted child's education is to discover and implement what works for them as individuals in a system designed to serve the norm.  It's not necessarily that teachers and/or administrators don't want to do the right thing, it's that the right thing is different for each high-ability child, and in general, requires creative solutions.

I also encourage parents to communicate with other parents within their district, share notes, and help each other along the way.  Join your local OAGC affiliate or other parent group.  Be informed, and help inform others.  No one person can know everything, but together we can help create better outcomes.  Our recent adventure caused me to read through a number of Common Core documents.  I fear that we are going to need each other more than ever before in the near future.

--Ana L. Rosado Feger