[Ohiogift] SENG discussion group forming in Central Ohio

Heather Cachat, Central Ohio Gifted Support cohgs at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 17 17:07:13 EST 2012

Dear Parents and Educators,
I've been on this listserv for several years in the capacity of an educator, and while I still work for a central Ohio district (in my 12th year now), I'm emailing you as a parent.  Over the summer I attended SENG's summer conference.  If you have not had a chance to go to a SENG conference, I highly recommend it.  There are programs for your kids, and many sessions that parents, educators, and psychologists will find helpful.  This summer's conference will be in Florida!

While at the conference, I took SENG's parent discussion group facilitator training.  What an amazing experience!  It's powerful to see parents make connections with other parents.  To see their faces relax with relief that someone else understands.

The discussion groups are ten consecutive weeks based around the book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children by James T. Webb, Janet L. Gore, Edward R. Amend and Arlene R. DeVries.  Topics include:
•Characteristics of Gifted Children
•Communication
•Motivation, Enthusiasm, and Underachievement
•Discipline and Self-Management
•Intensity, Perfectionism, and Stress
•Idealism, Unhappiness, and Depression
•Acquaintances, Friends, and Peers
•Siblings and Only Children
•Values, Traditions and Uniqueness
•Successful Parenting

The discussion groups provide an environment that support and guide, but are not considered advocacy or therapy groups.  While important, these have their place elsewhere.

The discussion groups I facilitate are currently located in Columbus.  Each week participants will have access to a free lending library and handouts.  Your child does not need to be formally identified for you to participate.  It is best if two adults in the child's life come each week.  The discussion group is small 8-18 participants and there is a cost, however if you need financial assistance, please contact me.  A portion of proceeds goes back to SENG to help support the non-profit.

If you are interested in joining, please visit www.centralohiogiftedsupport.com.  There is also a brochure attached to this email.  If you would like hard copies of the brochure to distribute, please email me off list.

Thank you and I hope to see you!

Sincerely,
Heather Cachat
Director Central Ohio Gifted Support