[OHIOBWG] Bat book

Carrie Morrow morrow at metroparks.net
Fri Nov 9 20:48:33 EST 2012

Forwarded message ----------
From: Bat Conservation International <info at batcon.org>
Date: Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Subject: A Book that can Save Bats around the World
To: Steve Ross and Jennifer Kleinrichert <kleiny03 at gmail.com>

[image: Bat Conservation International]

A lack of scientific information often limits what even the most dedicated
bat conservationists can accomplish. The kind of reliable and detailed
knowledge that scientists take for granted in the industrialized world can
be impossibly rare and expensive elsewhere, especially in remote regions
with limited access to technology. The right books can be invaluable tools
for conservation.

One such book is *Ecological and Behavioral Methods for the Study of Bats*,
edited by Thomas H. Kunz and Stuart Parsons. Published by Johns Hopkins
University Press, this text is widely praised as one of the best and most
comprehensive resources for professional bat researchers, educators and
conservationists. Unfortunately, due to the book’s prohibitive price — $105
per copy — this vital *resource is rarely available where bat conservation
is needed most.*

*“During workshops I have taught in the Old World Tropics over the last 10
years, I have been concerned that few of the participants (and generally
none) have had access to Tom Kunz's methods book,” says renowned bat
biologist Dr. Paul Racey of the United Kingdom. “Apart from my own copy,
all that was available during six workshops were a few tattered photocopies
of odd chapters. It would defeat the purpose of producing such a key
resource if it did not reach all of its target audience, such as the
younger members of bat conservation networks like CCINSA in South Asia,
SEABCRU in Southeast Asia, RELCOM in Latin America, and the planned bat
conservation network in Sub-Saharan Africa.”*

You can help BCI make this indispensable text available to the world. Johns
Hopkins University Press has generously offered BCI a 50% discount (plus
shipping) for this effort! In the coming year, I will be working in Africa,
South Asia, Southeast Asia and Latin America with some very talented bat
conservationists. My dream is to leave at least 200 copies of this book
with established and emerging bat researchers and conservationists in those
countries.

This invaluable resource can change the face of bat conservation in
developing countries across the globe. Please help us take full advantage
of this opportunity. *I have reallocated $7,500 of limited grant funding to
make this happen*, but we need an additional $5,000 to reach our goal. Each
book will cost $52.50 plus shipping.

Please donate now<https://www.supportbats.org/donate?srctid=1&erid=1127503&trid=0a1bd743-4847-4c35-99cd-e5e54f602df5>
make this dream and other bat conservation efforts a reality.

Sincerely,
[image: Dave Waldien, Ph.D.]
Dave Waldien
Interim Executive Director
Bat Conservation International

*Bat Conservation International* P.O. Box 162603 Austin, TX 78716
Phone: (512) 327-9721  |  Fax: (512) 327-9724  |  Email: info at batcon.org
------------------------------
Privacy Policy<https://www.supportbats.org/page.aspx?pid=294&srctid=1&erid=1127503&trid=0a1bd743-4847-4c35-99cd-e5e54f602df5>
Opt-out<https://www.supportbats.org/page.aspx?pid=293&srctid=1&erid=1127503&trid=0a1bd743-4847-4c35-99cd-e5e54f602df5>
  | *Donate<https://www.supportbats.org/donate?srctid=1&erid=1127503&trid=0a1bd743-4847-4c35-99cd-e5e54f602df5>
*© Bat Conservation International, Inc.

To avoid spam filters, don't forget to add our mailings to your Contacts
and/or Safe list.

--
Jennifer Kleinrichert
Environmental Educator