[Natfinwellness] Current money reading

Doran, Christopher Alan (cad7v) cad7v at virginia.edu
Thu Nov 8 14:55:48 EST 2018

Hi everyone,

For those of you looking for some Thursday afternoon inspiration on reaching students on money topics, I just finished "A Comedic Guide to Money", by Colin Ryan.  Many of you will remember Colin (www.colinryanspeaks.com<http://www.colinryanspeaks.com>), who keynoted the HEFW Summit in 2018 in Minneapolis. When his book came out this summer, I picked up a copy to see how it might apply to what we are trying to do here at the University of Virginia.

Just the other night, as my wife and I were reading one of the scenes in the book, we were laughing so hard we couldn't talk.  It had been a long time since I had laughed like that at a piece of writing, probably since reading a David Sedaris book or a Dave Barry column. We thought: "Pretty cool that we are laughing this hard while reading a book about money!"

Along with being very funny, Colin's book has been really helpful for me in framing how I can better communicate with the people I serve. He talks throughout about the limiting financial stories we tell ourselves, how to help people figure out how to choose a new financial story to tell about themselves, and he gives tons of financial advice so students (and adults) can improve their financial lives.

I wanted to share my experience of the book with this group because I know how much we all want to put our often complex or jargon-laden financial information into language and a context students will understand and engage with. This book has inspired and shaped my thinking.

Chris Doran
Communications Manager
Student Financial Services
University of Virginia