[Natfinwellness] Financial Wellness Course inquiry

Brenda Eichelberger brendae at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 24 16:35:04 EDT 2017

Hello!

I have taught a course in Personal Finance at Portland State University for
the past two decades and would love for more colleges to offer this as a
for credit course. This is a very rewarding class to teach!

·         *Do you have a preferred textbook? *

Yes, I really enjoy Arthur Keown's book "Personal Finance: Turning Money
into Wealth" by Pearson. They have good support materials. We offer the
course traditional face to face, on line and hybrid so we do need a variety
of tools.

·         *Do you use any of the online financial wellness resources
(IGrad, SALT, GradReady, Cash course, etc?)*

Our Financial Wellness Center uses the IGrad resources, but the for credit
course is much more in depth

·         *Would you be willing to share the topics covered?  I have a list
but would like to see what others are doing as well before I finalize my
list.*

Topics include - Financial goal setting (1 year, 2-5, and long term),
spending/budgeting, resume, job search (including market and salary
analysis), taxes, insurance, credit scores (how to build one, how to
protect one), home and auto purchases, consumer credit, student loans,
college costs, payment plans, stock market basics, bonds, mutual funds,
retirement and estate planning.  The course culminates with a personal
financial plan based on each of the prior topics.

Here are some discussion posts from last week:

*I feel like I have the tools the help achieve my goals and live a
financially secure life. This class has really helped me realize the
importance of planning your finances at a young age. It has helped me
figure out what I want in life and how I can achieve that.*

*The thing that sucks about this is that we are almost already set in out
spending habits by the time we start to learn about financial goals and
other things. For example, I have just been living pay check to paycheck
without really saving any money cause why would I need to save it for later
when I can just spend it now? These are things we really need to take into
consideration if we want to see a change for the better.*

*Education is always something useful, but I think I found out more about
myself which in turn helps with the information given throughout the
course. It's been fantastic.*

*I have become more aware of how I spend money after taking this course.  I
will even stop myself and think about some of the purchases that I would
normally make without giving it a second thought.  I have a long road ahead
of me but I this class has given me what I need to start on the right path.
It will also help me advocate for my family and my boyfriend when it comes
to finance. I have learned to save up and now I know the importance of
dealing with money without having to go to an accountant.*

*In this class I over exceeded my goals in learning because what I know now
is honestly priceless knowledge in preparation for my future.*

*I had always thought of saving and big financial decisions as happening
later in life when you had a bit more figured out. But it’s really
something that should start as soon as possible, and we should start
thinking about those big life events well before they actually happen if we
hope to live a comfortable life that we have financial control over.*

·         *Is anyone covering exploration for financial related apps in
their course?  If so, I’d love to *

My students project spending at the first of the month (with Keown's
worksheet #7) and then track spending daily or with Mint.com (highly
recommended - students love this app!).

Hope that helps!

Brenda Eichelberger, Sr. Instructor  II
Management & Finance
School of Business Administration
Portland State University

SBA / 631 SW Harrison St./ Portland, OR 97201
(503) 725-8143/ Brendae at pdx.edu

Web <http://www.pdx.edu/sba/> | Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/psu.sba>
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHR9FtQq709Uw2MEechNfpbP4V578OX8e>
<https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=19203&goback=.pth_%2a1_%2a1_%2a1_%2a1_%2a1_%2a1_%2a1&trk=feed-body-name>
 | Instagram <https://instagram.com/pdxbschool/> | Pinterest
<https://www.pinterest.com/psusba/>

"One person can make a difference, and everyone should try."

                                             ~ John F. Kennedy