[Natfinwellness] Money Cab

Windham, Lottia lwindham at mail.smu.edu
Thu Jul 6 16:46:48 EDT 2017

Hello,

We have a Swag Cab at Southern Methodist University that was created in place of a Cash Cab. We quiz the students on their financial literacy for SMU prizes i.e. earbuds, luggage tags, id holder for phone.

Please see the following about our program:

1.       Do you drive around in-between classes and give students rides   - Yes, we pick peak times on our campus and drive students to their residence hall or class. We utilize our golf cart on campus and partner with our school mascot for photos which draws students to the swag cab.

2.       if they answer a money quiz, or do you have students complete a goal sheet or sign them up for counseling? - We ask the students a variety of questions i.e. National student loan debt, what application they need to complete to receive Federal aid, what is savings, what is a good credit score to name a few.

3.       How many students does this cab program reach each year and do they complete a task? - we run the swag cab twice in the same week and for 2 hours. We average 50 - 75 students each time we have the swag cab.

4.       We will stop and ask students if they would like to participate even if they do not need a ride to class. Our campus has building that are far from one another and this gives us the ability to reach more students.

5.       We partner with other departments on campus to promote the swag cab and to come and help us drive or to help with the prizes we give away.

Please let me know what additional questions you may have, the program has been a huge hit with the students and administration.

Thank you,

Lottia Windham
lwindham at smu.edu<mailto:lwindham at smu.edu>
214-768-4794<tel:214.768.2090>