[Natfinwellness] Credit Scores (Starting Score)

Moody, Katherine moodyk at ripon.edu
Wed Jul 6 15:41:27 EDT 2016

Hello,

I agree with everything Tim said and would like to mention that students
now have another option to build credit that doesn't have the potential to
incur dangerous debt like a credit card, they can take out a "credit
building loan" instead.

Basically, they apply for the loan, the credit union/bank puts $X into a
savings account (they do not give the student the money), then the student
pays it off slowly, every month, just like any other loan. At the end of
the repayment period, they get their money back, minus interest, and an
improved credit score.

Yes, this comes at the cost of interest, but it is nominal and a good
learning experience for them to learn to pay monthly installments and
contact different credit unions/banks to find out interest rates.

Cheers,

Kate Moody
@librarikate <https://twitter.com/librarikate>

Access Services Librarian