[Natfinwellness] Required Financial Wellness Classes

Hagan, Timothy Timothy.Hagan at wichita.edu
Fri Jan 15 14:13:42 EST 2016

Hello All,

Some institutions incorporate personal financial education (which could be considered a “life skill”) into their first-year seminar course – which teaches other important life skills – at least for higher ed students.

The challenge is then to incorporate financial education into a course taught be someone who may not be very well versed or qualified to teach the material.

The Financial Literacy Project at Wichita State University has produces a free website that provides information to help college students deal with their two major financial challenges, even if they don’t know they have these challenges. The website is www.mycollegemoneyplan.org<http://www.mycollegemoneyplan.org>. Here is an outline of the two challenges.

1.       How much will their education cost, how are they paying for it and are they borrowing too much as compared to their earning expectations at graduation? The answer to these questions can be found in several modules in Part 1 of the online course. The other modules of the course are more appropriate for students who are evaluating college choices.

2.       How can the student be prepared to deal with basic financial matters (financial goals, understanding their paycheck, balancing income and expenses, understanding credit reports/scores, understanding basic consumer debt, avoiding pitfalls, and ID Theft). These are subjects addressed in Part 2 of the online course.

First year seminar instructors who access  the “Teaching Resources” area of the website, with suggested lesson plans, can gain enough information to present the material in a meaningful manner. Seminar/Course directors can decide how much time is available for the topics and present what they think is important for their students. Students who want more information can explore additional material within the course and material linked to pages in the modules if they want more in-depth information.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Best Regards,

Tim Hagan, MBA
Financial Literacy Project Coordinator
Office for Student Success