[Natfinwellness] Peer Counselor Curriculm

Niki Pechinski npechins at d.umn.edu
Wed Oct 21 09:57:38 EDT 2015

Hi Ann,

My name is Niki, I'm the Financial Literacy Educator at the University of
MN Duluth.

I have a student worker who used this free online MOOC
<https://www.open2study.com/courses/financial-literacy> to learn a bit
about financial literacy. I haven't taken the course myself and am not sure
that it is "enough" to train a student to be a peer counselor but it could
be a start. Another free option could be to ask a local bank or credit
union to help develop a curriculum. UMD is contacted regularly by financial
institutions looking to get involved in financial literacy.

I am starting a for-credit peer mentor program <http://z.umn.edu/fpmp>
(recruitment is occurring now, pilot program in Spring 2016). I am using a
credit bearing model because I do not have a budget to pay financial peer
mentors. This is another avenue to explore.

I hope this helps!

Take care,
Niki

Niki Pechinski