[mvapich-discuss] Overlap of communication and computation on the GPU

Yussuf Ali yussuf.ali at jaea.go.jp
Thu May 16 04:13:16 EDT 2019

Dear MVAPICH developers and users,

I have a question regarding communication and computation overlap with
MVAPICH2-GDR.
If we write the following code in our program:

MPI_Irecv(cuBufferA.......);
MPI_Isend(cuBufferB.......)
my_kernel<<<...>>>(cuBufferC,cuBufferD);

All buffers are device buffers and my_kernel can be calculated
independently of cuBufferA and cuBufferB.
Will the GPU automatically overlap Irecv/Isend with the my_kernel
execution?
Or will my_kernel be executed after Irecv/Isend are finished?

Thank you for your help,
Yussuf Ali