[mvapich-discuss] Only 1/2 of assigned nodes being used on a cluster with mvapich

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue May 22 06:35:29 EDT 2018

On Tue, May 22, 2018 10:18:14 +0000, Subramoni, Hari wrote:
> Hi, Ankur.

Hi Hari,

Thank you for your response.

> Can you please let us know how you set the MV2_ENABLE_AFFINITY=0
> environment variable? I don't see it in the script mentioned in #3.

I export it in my `~/.bashrc` file here[1]. I've double checked that
this is exported on the head node and all the worker nodes too:

$ hostname
headnode2

$ env | grep MV
MV2_ENABLE_AFFINITY=0

$ ssh node039
Last login: Mon May 21 13:54:32 2018 from headnode2.data

$ env | grep MV
MV2_ENABLE_AFFINITY=0

> Do you know if Torque has some default process to core mapping that is
> getting used?

I wouldn't think so. If I use another MPI implementation, such as mpich
or openmpi for example, all cores are used.

> On a different note, the version of MVAPICH2 you are using is very
> old. You can download the latest version from our website. I would
> strongly recommend that you use the latest version for the best
> performance and bug fixes.
>
> http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/downloads/

Yes, I know, but as with clusters, I'll have to request the
administrators to build the new version and make it available to us, and
that could take quite a while.

[1] https://github.com/sanjayankur31/100_dotfiles/blob/master/bashrc#L44

Ankur Sinha

Ph.D. candidate - UH Biocomputation
Visiting lecturer - School of Computer Science
University of Hertfordshire,
Hatfield, UK

http://biocomputation.herts.ac.uk