[mvapich-discuss] Downloading mvapich2-gdr versions and compatibility between versions

Raghu Reddy raghu.reddy at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 11 10:45:14 EDT 2018

Dear mvapich2 team,

When trying to download mvapich2-gdr, there is a table of options available
to download.  For example when I look at the row headings:

GNU/4.8.5 and PGI (for various scheduler combinations).

Previously whenever we needed an Intel version we requested it and that was
provided very promptly!   Thank you, and very much appreciated!  J

One question I have is, both PGI and Intel are compatible with GNU as long
as FORTRAN 90 modules are not involved.  So as long as we're not using
"module use mpi" is it fair to say we could just install the GNU version and
use it with any of these three compilers (GNU, Intel, and PGI)?

Is it fair to say separate versions are provided primarily because of
incompatibility introduced used by:

-          Fortran 90 (primarily by "module use mpi"?)

-          C++, which may not be compatible for a similar reason

As long as our codes are not using C++ MPI constructs and Fortran does not
use "module use mpi"  is there any reason to explicitly request an Intel
build?

Thanks!

Raghu