[mvapich-discuss] Memory error detected by TotalView and Valgrind in MV2-2.1

Adam T. Moody moody20 at llnl.gov
Mon Feb 8 20:59:21 EST 2016

Hello MVAPICH team,
We have two different memory debugging tools pointing to an error around
line 299 in src/mpid/ch3/src/mpid_init.c:

    /* Create the string that will cache the last group of failed processes
     * we received from PMI */
    UPMI_KVS_GET_VALUE_LENGTH_MAX(&val);
    MPIDI_failed_procs_string = MPIU_Malloc(sizeof(char) * (val+1));

Both tools are reporting that malloc is being called with a large
negative value, implying that val is negative here.

We have a custom PMI library, and I tracked this down to an issue where
PMI_KVS_Get_value_length_max() is being called before PMI_Init().

Do you know if that is valid in PMI?
-Adam