[mvapich-discuss] mvapich2-2.0.1 performs very poorly on old mthca0 nodes when involving multiple CPUs per node.

Limin Gu lgu at penguincomputing.com
Tue Mar 31 16:05:42 EDT 2015

Hi All,

I have encountered a problem with mvapich2-2.0.1.

I use osu benchmark for performance test on the nodes which have old
mellanox cards with mthca0. Mvapich2-2.0.0 performs fine on those nodes,
but mvapich2-2.0.1 is compiled the same way, but performs horribly, it
takes 1000 times longer than mvapich2-2.0.0. The problem happens when I use
more than one CPU per node.

For example: "mpirun_rsh -np 2 n0 n1 ./osu_alltoall" runs OK for both
mvapich2-2.0.0 and mvapich2-2.0.1
but "mpirun_rsh -np 4 n0 n0 n1 n1 ./osu_alltoall" runs OK for
mvapich2-2.0.0, but horrible for mvapich2-2.0.1

I also tried on nodes with newer mellanox card with mlx4_0, mvapich2-2.0.1
performs OK with multiple CPUs per node.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Is this problem related to hardware?

Thanks!

Limin