[mvapich-discuss] CMA feature not recognized.

Chaitra Kumar chaitragkumar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 06:08:49 EDT 2015

Hi Team,

I am trying to run an MPI application.  At runtime, the application fails
with below error:

[test-1:mpi_rank_0][MPIDI_CH3I_SMP_init] CMA is not available. Set
MV2_SMP_USE_CMA=0 to disable CMA.

[cli_0]: aborting job:

Fatal error in MPI_Init:

Other MPI error, error stack:

MPIR_Init_thread(514)....:

MPID_Init(359)...........: channel initialization failed

MPIDI_CH3_Init(446)......:

MPIDI_CH3I_SMP_Init(2182): process_vm_readv: Operation not permitted

System details:
OS: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Linux kernel: Linux 3.13.0-53-generic
MVAPICH2: MVAPICH2 2.1

I confirmed that CMA is supported on the system. But MVAPICH2 throws the
error: CMA Not available.

What could be cause of this error? How can I resolve this?

Please let me know if you need further information.

Regards,
Chaitra