[mvapich-discuss] Same nodes different time?

Tony Ladd tladd at che.ufl.edu
Thu Mar 27 18:09:03 EDT 2014

It can be large in my experience. I found in some cases a 10G infiniband
network (in that case our universities HPC system) could be slower than
gigabit ethernet (with highly optimized drivers and a flat network). Its
true you have sole access to the nodes but not sole access to the switch
network. One thing is to ask the sys admins if they will set aside a
portion of the network for you sometime.

However before doing that you might consider the following. A CFD code
should not be communication bound - the surface to volume ratio works in
your favor if you have enough nodes per processor. I notice you were
using 64 cores - at a rough guess I would say your problem should be
5-10 million cells to get good parallel performance. If you want to test
the compiler I would run on just 1 node (perhaps with a smaller
problem). That is all you need to check the compiler - or even a single
process. I doubt you will find much difference between O2 and O3. Better
to check on the web for some magic flags. I found --no-prec-div (I think
that was it) sped up one of my codes by a factor of 2. It prevents it
from doing the IEEE error checking (or something like that) which can
sometimes make a big difference. Someone at TACC put me on to that.
There may well be others.

Tony

--
Tony Ladd