[mvapich-discuss] TCP/IP-CH3 channel error in gethostbyname

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Mar 5 08:35:55 EST 2014

Hello.  In order to run mpi over tcp you'll need to build with one of
the tcp channels.  I would also like to mention that 1.9b is very old
and you should move to either the formal release of 1.9 or try 2.0b.

Here is a link to our userguide which shows how to build the nemesis tcp netmod.
http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-2.0b.html#x1-180004.10

Here is the section on how to run on an alternate tcp interface.
http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-2.0b.html#x1-400005.2.9

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:31 AM, Harisangam Sharvari Suhas
<harisangams at cdac.in> wrote:
> hello,
>        I have compiled MVAPICH1.9b and installed it on two nodes. The nodes
> are connected back to back on interface eth4 .  Also the nodes are a part of
> a LAN network on interface eth0. I used mpirun_rsh to run the osu benchmark
> as follows
>
> mpirun_rsh -np 2  192.168.20.32 192.168.20.31 osu_bw
>
> where 192.168.20.32  and 192.168.20.31 are ip addresses of two nodes on
> eth4.
>
> it reports the error as gethostbyname: unknown server error.
>
> 2) As i already mentioned i have two interfaces . I want to test the
> bandwidth of second interface eth4 which is back to back connected nodes.
>    For this do i need to change any settings of the nodes??
>
> -Thanks
> -Sharvari Harisangam
> Center For Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC),pune, INDIA

> This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
> contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
> all copies and the original message. Any unauthorized review, use,
> disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email
> is strictly prohibited and appropriate legal action will be taken.

Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo