[mvapich-discuss] mvapich2 1.9 and pgi 13.10: compilation problem

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Jan 28 13:24:15 EST 2014

I'm glad to know my suspicions were correct.

You don't really need libtool files as you can specify the
dependencies yourself when working with static libraries.  If you're
working with shared libraries you don't even have to specify the
dependencies (in most cases).

It's safe to copy the files back if you'd like but be aware that this
situation can happen again if you're compiling software linking
against libpmi using the PGI compiler and libtool.  The problem should
not happen if libtool isn't being used.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Carmelo Ponti (CSCS) <cponti at cscs.ch> wrote:
> Dear Jonathan
>
> You are perfectly right. I found the libtool file called libpmi.la which
> include the -pthread flag. There are also two other files .la
> (libslurm.la and libslurmdb.la) with the same flag (see the attached
> file the three libtool files). In detail I found the following two lines:
>
> # Linker flags that can not go in dependency_libs.
> inherited_linker_flags=' -pthread'
>
> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' /apps/pilatus/slurm/2.5.4-pam/lib/libslurm.la -L/apps/pilatus/slurm/hwloc/lib /apps/pilatus/slurm/hwloc/lib/libhwloc.la -lnuma /usr/lib64/libxml2.la -ldl -lz -lm -lpthread'
>
> According my understanding, .la files are needed to work with static
> libraries (but not only) which is not my case. Following your suggestion
> I removed the "-pthread" flag on the three files and it compiled without
> errors. I tried also to move the three files in a temporary directory
> and it compiled as well.
>
> Anyway before install it I need to understand more about this problem.
> Especially I would like to know if it's save to copy back the three original .la
> files.
>
> regards
> Carmelo

> Carmelo Ponti           System Engineer
> CSCS                    Swiss Center for Scientific Computing
> Via Trevano 131         Email: cponti at cscs.ch
> CH-6900 Lugano          http://www.cscs.ch
>                         Phone: +41 91 610 82 15/Fax: +41 91 610 82 82

Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo