[mvapich-discuss] mvapich2 1.9 and pgi 13.10: compilation problem

Carmelo Ponti (CSCS) cponti at cscs.ch
Mon Jan 27 10:56:38 EST 2014

Dear Jonathan

You are perfectly right. I found the libtool file called libpmi.la which
include the -pthread flag. There are also two other files .la
(libslurm.la and libslurmdb.la) with the same flag (see the attached
file the three libtool files). In detail I found the following two lines:

# Linker flags that can not go in dependency_libs.
inherited_linker_flags=' -pthread'

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' /apps/pilatus/slurm/2.5.4-pam/lib/libslurm.la -L/apps/pilatus/slurm/hwloc/lib /apps/pilatus/slurm/hwloc/lib/libhwloc.la -lnuma /usr/lib64/libxml2.la -ldl -lz -lm -lpthread'

According my understanding, .la files are needed to work with static
libraries (but not only) which is not my case. Following your suggestion
I removed the "-pthread" flag on the three files and it compiled without
errors. I tried also to move the three files in a temporary directory
and it compiled as well.

Anyway before install it I need to understand more about this problem.
Especially I would like to know if it's save to copy back the three original .la
files.

regards
Carmelo

Carmelo Ponti           System Engineer
CSCS                    Swiss Center for Scientific Computing
Via Trevano 131         Email: cponti at cscs.ch
CH-6900 Lugano          http://www.cscs.ch
                        Phone: +41 91 610 82 15/Fax: +41 91 610 82 82