[mvapich-discuss] Feature request: Configurable path to rsh command

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri May 3 12:47:14 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 05:10:04PM +0200, Moritz Schlarb wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently working on integrating MVAPICH2 into the LSF batch system.
>
> To accomplish that, it would be of great help if I could set the
> exact rsh command to be used (which is currently hardcoded via
> #define) while configuring and/or executing mpirun_rsh (just like
> the selection between rsh and ssh).
> If that is possible, I can simply use the LSF utility blaunch as a
> drop-in replacement for rsh which then uses the LSF daemons on the
> remote nodes for starting processes and communicating.
>
> From digging around in the sources for mpirun_rsh, I found it to be
> not much work to support this option, but I wanted to check with the
> developers if there was a possible inclusion of that feature in the
> main source tree.

Hello Moritz,
This support was recently added in MVAPICH2 1.9rc1.  You should be able to use
the RSH_CMD environment variable to complete your integration.

    Usage: ./configure [OPTION]... [VAR=VALUE]...

    To assign environment variables (e.g., CC, CFLAGS...), specify them as
    VAR=VALUE.  See below for descriptions of some of the useful variables.

    Defaults for the options are specified in brackets.
      RSH_CMD     path to rsh command
      SSH_CMD     path to ssh command
      ENV_CMD     path to env command
      DBG_CMD     path to debugger command