[mvapich-discuss] mvapich2-1.9a2 configuration issue

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sat Jan 12 13:34:11 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:52:24PM -0500, Bharath Ramesh wrote:
> I am trying to install mvapich2-1.9a2 on our cluster.
> Unfortunately, I am facing an issue building hwloc because at the
> configuration stage of hwloc core some of the sizes for various
> types are being detected incorrectly. Here is the snippet of the
> configure output
>
> ###
> ### Configuring hwloc core
> ###
> checking hwloc building mode... embedded
> configure: hwloc builddir: /home/bramesh/ARC/apps/build/mvapich2-1.9a2/src/pm/hydra/tools/topo/hwloc/hwloc
> configure: hwloc srcdir: /home/bramesh/ARC/apps/build/mvapich2-1.9a2/src/pm/hydra/tools/topo/hwloc/hwloc
> checking if want hwloc maintainer support... disabled (embedded mode)
> checking for hwloc directory prefix... tools/topo/hwloc/hwloc/
> checking for hwloc symbol prefix... hwloc_
> checking size of void *... 0
> checking which OS support to include... Linux
> checking which CPU support to include... unknown -- assuming x86_64
> checking size of unsigned long... (cached) 8
> checking size of unsigned int... 0
> checking for the C compiler vendor... gnu
>
> My configure line is:
>
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/apps/mvapich2 --enable-shared --with-ib-include=/opt/ofed/ofed/include --with-ib-libpath=/opt/ofed/ofed/lib64 --with-pbs=/opt/torque/torque
>
> I am not subscribed to the list so would appreciate it if I am
> copied on the replies.

It looks like hwloc is unable to determine what type of CPU you have.
It doesn't look like you're cross-compiling either.  Can you share with
us information on your machine such as the CPU, OS, and version of
compilers used?  Also please let us know if there is anything that may
not be considered standard about your setup.

The output from the following commands should work:
    uname -a
    cat /etc/issue
    gcc --version

We are using an embedded version of hwloc-1.5 for our library.  It may
be useful for you to try downloading and building both the 1.5 and 1.6
versions of hwloc to see if they suffer from this same issue.

http://www.open-mpi.org/software/hwloc/v1.5/
http://www.open-mpi.org/software/hwloc/v1.6/

--
Jonathan Perkins