[mvapich-discuss] MPI+OpenMP configuration

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jan 9 11:35:54 EST 2013

Hello Bruno,
In the case that you have described below the MPI processes will each
bind to a seperate numanode.  The OpenMP threads associated with the
first MPI process will be bound to the same numanode as that process,
the threads associated with the second process will be bound to the same
numanode as the second process.

You may want to take a look at the next section in the userguide to
potentially get better behavior:
http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.9a2.html#x1-740006.17

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 02:51:51PM +0100, Bruno Mundim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing problems to set numa affinity for a hybrid
> MPI+OpenMP code in one of the clusters I use, and I was
> wondering if I could set that differently, using MVAPICH2
> directly. I have read the manual section on this issue,
>
> http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.9a2.html#x1-730006.16
>
> and that is what I set for other clusters. However, I would
> like to know if I set the following options for mpirun_rsh:
>
> mpirun_rsh -np $NP -hostfile ${MPI_NODEFILE} /bin/env MV2_ENABLE_AFFINITY=1
>  MV2_USE_AFFINITY=1 MV2_USE_SHARED_MEM=1 MV2_CPU_BINDING_LEVEL=numanode
> MV2_CPU_BINDING_POLICY=scatter  OMP_NUM_THREADS=8  ./executable
>
> then will MVAPICH2 prevent the OpenMP threads from running
> on the other cores of the SAME numanode the MPI task is bound to?
> I am setting these options for a cluster where each compute node
> has two numa nodes or two sockets, each with an eight-core
> processor. I fix the number of MPI tasks per compute node to 2
> in my submission script and use 8 threads per MPI task. From what
> I read in the manual I am not sure if those 8 threads will
> be allowed to run on the 8 cores or not, even when binding
> the MPI task to the numanode (or to the socket) instead to
> a core. I would appreciate a comment on this issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruno.

Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo