[mvapich-discuss] PBS Pro's qstat failed to show "Time Use" if building application with mvapich2

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sat Dec 21 16:32:43 EST 2013

I'd like to know how MVAPICH2 was built and how you are running your
jobs.  You can run `mpiname -a` and/or the output from config.log from
your build directory if you build MVAPICH2 yourself.  Can you also
provide information on how you submit your jobs such as whether you're
using mpirun_rsh or mpiexec?

I believe that using RSH_CMD=/path/to/pbs/rsh and --enable-rsh at
build time will give the desired results if you're using mpirun_rsh
with PBS Pro.  You should also get the desired results by using hydra
(mpiexec).

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Jianyu Liu <jerry_leo at msn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Here are env. info
>
> Job scheduler : PBSPro 11.3.0.
>             OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2
>      mvapich2 : 2.0b
>     InfiniBand: Mellanox Technologies MT26428 [ConnectX VPI PCIe 2.0 5GT/s - IB QDR / 10GigE] (rev b0)
>      mlx4_core: 1.0-mlnx_ofed1.5.3
>        mlx4_en: 1.5.8.3 (June 2012)
>

> If application was built with mavpich2, while checking job status with qstat, it failed to show "Time use", just like this.
>

> [jliu at log08~]# qstat
> Job id            Name             User              Time Use S Queue
> 94540.log05       WRF3             jliu              00:00:00 R Regular
>

> Job works fine, just the "Time Use" always shows as ZERO.
>

> But if application was built with OpenMPI, there is NO this sort of issue.
>

> My question is
>
> how to build mvapich2 to support PBS Pro or any run-time options which can make qstat show "Time use" properly ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Jerry

Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo