[mvapich-discuss] segfaults in multi-threaded MPI communications

Brody Huval brodyh at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 22 21:18:19 EDT 2012

Hi All,

My MPI program spawns a number of instances, each with two threads, one to load data and one for computations. The data threads and computational threads only talk amongst themselves. Once I added in MPI_Send & Recv to the data thread (on a unique tag), the program runs fine when the computational thread is idle & not sending messages. However, once the computational thread begins its communications the program segfaults.

I am using MPI_Init_thread(…,MPI_MULTIPLE_THREADS,...) and it provides the request of MPI_MULTIPLE_THREADS. I have also built the library with the following options.

Configuration
brodyh at deep0:~$ mpiname -a
MVAPICH2 1.8 Mon Apr 30 14:56:40 EDT 2012 ch3:mrail

Compilation
CC: gcc    -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -O2
CXX: c++   -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -O2
F77: gfortran   -O2
FC: gfortran   -O2

Configuration
--prefix=/scr/brodyh/local --enable-cuda --with-cuda=/usr/local/cuda --enable-threads=multiple

Any idea what could be happening? Thanks for your time.

Best,
Brody Huval