[mvapich-discuss] MPI continuous send and receive of messages in a loop

roger federer ooops.789 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 23:53:33 EDT 2011

well i am trying to do a program, where the process 0 should start the
initialization of sending messages to a random process other than itself,
then the random process selected should receive the message and send to
another random process. This should happen until the requested number of
messages to be sent is done, which is given by the user as input. I see
that my program is either sending messages at the max 2 or else even none
and giving me the following error

 ONE OF THE PROCESSES TERMINATED BADLY: CLEANING UP
APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Terminated (signal 15)

Here is my code, lemme know whats the loop hole in it. The random
generation part is not included, which is working fine

    if(rank==0)
    {
    rnum=rgenerator(rank,size);
    string++;
    MPI_Send(&string, 50, MPI_INT, rnum, rnum, MPI_COMM_WORLD);
    printf("\n process %d sends message to process %d",rank, rnum);

    //MPI_Recv(&flag, 100, MPI_INT, MPI_ANY_SOURCE, MPI_ANY_TAG,
MPI_COMM_WORLD, &status);

    }

        while(flag!=1)
        {

        if(MPI_Recv(&string, 50, MPI_INT, MPI_ANY_SOURCE, rank,
MPI_COMM_WORLD, &status)==MPI_SUCCESS)
        {

            printf("\n process %d receives message from process %d count :
%d",rank, status.MPI_SOURCE, string);
            rnum=rgenerator(rank,size);
            printf("\n Random num generated is %d",rnum);
            string=string+1;
            MPI_Send(&string, 50, MPI_INT, rnum, rnum, MPI_COMM_WORLD);
            count++;

            printf("\n process %d sends message to process %d", rank, rnum);

            //MPI_Bcast(&count, 40, MPI_INT, rank, MPI_COMM_WORLD);
            if(string==n)
            {
                printf("\n\n Messages reached");
                flag=1;