[mvapich-discuss] Regarding transport interfaces of MVAPICH2

Bhargava Ramu Kavati ramu.kavati at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:45:25 EDT 2011

Hi,
I am trying to run MPI applications on an OFED cluster (over IB) using
MVAPICH2 with OFA-IB-Nemesis as underlying transport interface.  I have
below queries regarding OFA-IB-Nemesis/OFA-IB-CH3, please clarify.

1) *OFA-IB-Nemesis:* It is based on libibverbs layer in OFED and does not
use connection manager in OFED.
    *OFA-IB-CH3:* It supports librdmacm in OFED and hence relies on
connection manager.
    Is my understanding correct in both the above cases?

2) Does OFA-IB-Nemesis depend on Subnet manager/Subnet administration
components in OFED ? I mean, does OFA-IB-Nemesis require any services from
Subnet manager/Subnet administration ?

3) How a MPI app which is using MVAPICH2 with OFA-IB-Nemesis gets the remote
node details such as LID/GID, QP number etc. to connect  to remote node? Is
it via out of band communication?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
Ramu