[mvapich-discuss] mpd hostname resolution?

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 22 21:37:24 EST 2011

On 02/22/2011 08:01 PM, Kenneth Yoshimoto wrote:
> If hydra requires passwordless ssh to the compute nodes, I am unable
> to use it.

You don't want to setup passwordless ssh? What launcher does your system
use?

Most process managers (Hydra, mpirun_rsh, and even MPD if you use
mpdboot) require some form of automatic remote launching capability,
such as ssh, rsh, slurm, poe, lsf.

> From the docs, it seems that mpd is still an option.  Is it broken
> and unsupported?

MPD was developed by the MPICH2 group and is not supported anymore.
MVAPICH folks *might* still be supporting it, but I don't believe so.

You can tweak MPD as you are doing to get it to work without using
passwordless ssh, but that's internal usage and not meant to be directly
used that way by users.

> Or is there a way to bring Hydra up in a batch job, without
> ssh/rsh/slurm?

There's an experimental launcher called "persist" in Hydra, which is
meant for manual launching (like what you are currently doing). We were
working on it to allow Hydra to work on Windows, but it's *really*
experimental. You are welcome to poke around with it, but it's *totally*
unsupported.

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji