[mvapich-discuss] Configuration with Many code nodes

Ralph C. Bording rcbord at vims.edu
Tue Aug 16 11:14:00 EDT 2011

Hi All,
  I am trying to install the latest MVAPICH-1-2 on our new cluster. The new nodes have 48 cores and with these
new nodes I can see the mpi processes hopping from core to core.  We are using Torque and Maui to enable cpusets but within the cpusets we need to be able to configure MVAPICH so that is "USE"s  AFFINITY.  From the
documentation it looks like I want to set the parameter VIADEV_USE_AFFINITY to do this.

Is this conceptually correct?  Do I need to do anything else?  Can I set VIADEV_USE_AFFINITY to default so that every job runs this way or will have have to have all the users modify their PBS scripts accordingly?

Lastly in the documentation is has, "VIADEV_USE_AFFINITY does not take effect when _AFFINITY_ is not defined."    So my question is how do I define "_AFFINITY_" ?

Thanks.
RBording
HPC Application Analyst
Virginia Institute of Marine Science