[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH and SLURM affinity settings

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Oct 28 09:48:48 EDT 2010

I'm not sure if your problem is as simple as needed to prepend your
lines with export if something more will need to be done here.  Can
you please try

export VIADEV_USE_AFFINITY=1
export VIADEV_CPU_MAPPING=0:2:3:4:1:5:6:7
srun --mpi=mvapich ${ROMS_DIR}/runme.csh ${ROMS_BIN} ${INFILE}

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 7:53 AM, stephen mulcahy
<smulcahy at atlanticlinux.ie> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just started testing MVAPICH in our environment as an alternative to
> our current MPI library.
>
> We would like to use MVAPICH's affinity settings but are using MVAPICH via
> SLURM so we normally submit jobs in the following way
>
> We have a shell script like the following (run-model.sh)

> VIADEV_USE_AFFINITY=1
> VIADEV_CPU_MAPPING=0:2:3:4:1:5:6:7
> srun --mpi=mvapich ${ROMS_DIR}/runme.csh ${ROMS_BIN} ${INFILE}

> which we submit to SLURM with sbatch run-model.sh
>
> As you can see above, I've tried to use the affinity settings to MVAPICH  by
> setting them in the script.
>
> But when I monitor the running jobs with htop, I can see the model tasks
> moving between different processor cores.
>
> We're using MVAPICH 1.2 RC1
>
> Is this the correct way of configuring MVAPICH to use the affinity settings
> or am I missing something?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Stephen Mulcahy     Atlantic Linux         http://www.atlanticlinux.ie
> Registered in Ireland, no. 376591 (144 Ros Caoin, Roscam, Galway)

Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo