[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH and SLURM affinity settings

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at atlanticlinux.ie
Thu Oct 28 07:53:17 EDT 2010

Hi,

I've just started testing MVAPICH in our environment as an alternative
to our current MPI library.

We would like to use MVAPICH's affinity settings but are using MVAPICH
via SLURM so we normally submit jobs in the following way

We have a shell script like the following (run-model.sh)

VIADEV_USE_AFFINITY=1
VIADEV_CPU_MAPPING=0:2:3:4:1:5:6:7
srun --mpi=mvapich ${ROMS_DIR}/runme.csh ${ROMS_BIN} ${INFILE}

which we submit to SLURM with sbatch run-model.sh

As you can see above, I've tried to use the affinity settings to MVAPICH
  by setting them in the script.

But when I monitor the running jobs with htop, I can see the model tasks
moving between different processor cores.

We're using MVAPICH 1.2 RC1

Is this the correct way of configuring MVAPICH to use the affinity
settings or am I missing something?

Stephen Mulcahy     Atlantic Linux         http://www.atlanticlinux.ie
Registered in Ireland, no. 376591 (144 Ros Caoin, Roscam, Galway)