[mvapich-discuss] Issue with -DUSE_DL_PREFIX for mvapich_malloc.c compilation

Sayantan Sur surs at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Feb 10 09:19:21 EST 2010

Hi Aniruddha,

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Aniruddha Marathe
<marathe.aniruddha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing an issue when using "-DUSE_DL_PREFIX" flag to compile
> 'mvapich_malloc.c' (in
> src/mpid/ch3/channels/mrail/src/memory/ptmalloc2). I provide the
> following options to 'configure' script:
>
> $./configure --prefix="/home/aniruddha/sweep/mvapich/install/"
> CFLAGS="-DUSE_DL_PREFIX" CPPFLAGS="-DUSE_DL_PREFIX"
> FFLAGS="-DUSE_DL_PREFIX"
>
> The library compiles successfully. However, when I link this with
> sweep3d and smg2000, the benchmark applications do not show any output
> once MPI_Init() is called. I need to compile MVAPICH2 with
> "-DUSE_DL_PREFIX" since I need to redefine malloc() and free()
> separately for bookkeeping. I'm using 'mvapich2-1.4'.
>
> Has anyone had this issue with -DUSE_DL_PREFIX before?
>
> Appreciate your help!

Thanks for your report.

If you are simply trying to profile your applications memory
alloc/free patterns, you could compile with -DDISABLE_PTMALLOC. This
will ensure that you don't use the customized malloc library in
MVAPICH2. When you are ready to make your performance run, you can
then link with MVAPICH2 compiled without that flag.