[mvapich-discuss] Re: data placement in-order guarantee ?

Håkon Bugge Haakon.Bugge at Sun.COM
Tue Feb 9 13:48:31 EST 2010

On Feb 9, 2010, at 19:08 , अनुज wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Håkon Bugge <Haakon.Bugge at sun.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> Now, most MPI implementation does not obey this; IIRC MVAPICH does rely on the last byte (word?) being written after all other payload,
>
> But MVAPICH assumes last byte is written in last. What if that is not the case?

I would assume you in that case copy incorrect data from your IB receive buffer to your application receive buffer (assuming a one-copy receive). This can happen with a less conservative IB implementation and/or weak ordering of I/O transactions.

> Scali MPI relies on 4-byte write atomicy and uses a special encoding/decoding which sustains any reordering of the payload (as long as each 4-byte word is written as an atomic unit). The benefit, besides robustness, is the capability of a worm-hole message consumption (the message can be decoded and copied into the MPI user buffer _before_ it has been fully received). This method is currently a patent application, so I do not recommend you to copy-cat this method.
>
> Can u provide a link for this method? Atleast I can go through some details of this technique.

Go to http://portal.uspto.gov/external/portal/pair, have a look at application 11/256752 and 11/437902. As stated above, you should understand that these techniques are protected by patent legislation.

Håkon