[mvapich-discuss] OFA-IB-CH3 vs. OFA-IB-Nemesis

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Dec 16 08:56:05 EST 2010

Hi Mark,

> I've been playing with the (relatively) recent support for OFA-IB-Nemesis
> in MVAPICH2 1.5.1p1. It seems to be giving some pretty good performance
> figures for IMB/PALLAS on our Linux OFED 1.4.1 cluster compared with
> MVAPICH2 1.4.

Thanks for your feedback.

There were many optimizations (for both performance and scalability) done
for the OFA-IB-CH3 interface in MVAPICH2 1.5.1 release also. Thus, you
should compare the performance of both these interfaces (CH3 and Nemesis)
in 1.5.1 and see which one works best for your set of applications.

> Looking at the documentation, I notice that OFA-IB-CH3 (section 4.4) is
> still built by default, not OFA-IB-Nemesis (section 4.5).
>
> Is OFA-IB-CH3 recommended over OFA-IB-Nemesis?

All the features available with OFA-IB-CH3 are not yet available for
OFA-IB-Nemesis. That's why OFA-IB-CH3 is the `default' interface
currently.  More features are gradually getting added to the
OFA-IB-Nemesis side.  Once all the features are available on the
OFA-IB-Nemesis side, it will be made default.

In the mean time, you can compare the performance and scalability of
both these interfaces (for a given release) for your set of applications
and choose the one that works best for you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

DK