[mvapich-discuss] crash of runs over InfiniBand

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Oct 21 07:50:58 EDT 2009

Iris,

Looks like there could be multiple issues here. When you run your
application using 4/8 cores on a single node, InfiniBand is not used at
all. It uses intra-node shared memory communication. When you are running
MVAPICH2 1.4, which version are you running and how are you configuring
it? Also, what is the memory requirement of your application per core?
Looks like when you are running your application using all 8 cores, your
overall memory requirement might be exceeding the available physical
memory. Try to run your application with a smaller data size to see if it
passes with all 8 cores. Also note that in addition to the data size, MPI
library also requires some amount of memory.

When you are running your application on two different nodes, can you make
sure that your InfiniBand fabric is working correctly. I am assuming that
you are using OpenFabrics stack. There are several IB-level tests (not
MPI-level) which come with OpenFabrics. Can you run these tests to make
sure that your IB setup is correct.

Thanks,

DK