[mvapich-discuss] MPI-2 over ibverbs/rdma

Vivek Satpute vivekonline86 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 03:34:13 EST 2009

Hi,

First of all thanks for the instant reply.

I am bit confused with IPoIB and MPI-2. Please find inline reply/questions .

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Dhabaleswar Panda <panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to MPI, so my questions might be meaningless.
> >
> > Does it necessary to have IPoIB configuration for executing MPI-2 ?
>
> No. These two are orthogonal issues.
>
> > Is it possible to run MPI-2 over ibverbs or RDMA without using IPoIB
> support
> > ? If yes, then can anyone point me to some good examples or tutorials ?
>
> You can use the OpenFabrics-Gen2/IB interface of MVAPICH2 to run it
> directly over ibverbs.
>
> If  I configured above then for executing MPI application from node1 to
node2,
node3 and node4 (e.g mpirun_rsh -np 4 n0 n1 n2 n3 ./cpi),
I will have to mention a IB interfaces of each n0, n1, n3, n4. So ultimately
MPI
will use IPoIB module. Am i right ?

Please refer to MVAPICH2 1.4 user guide (available from the following
> URL). This indicates how to build, configure and run MVAPICH2 on Gen2
> interface.
>
> http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.4.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> DK
>
> > If this is not the right place to ask this question here, then can anyone
> > point me to correct mailing list ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vivek

Thanks,