[mvapich-discuss] Options for mpispawn

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Wed Jun 17 09:03:09 EDT 2009

Thanks. This would cure several problems for me.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Jonathan
Perkins<perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 03:17:00PM -0500, Laurence Marks wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Jonathan Perkins <
>> perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

>> > specific?
>> >
>> > Are you asking whether there are any files created by mpispawn
>> > temporarily when mpispawn is invoked or are you asking whether there are
>> > any options that changes the behavior of mpispawn?
>>
>> Here is what I would like to do, either:a) Set processor affinity off if
>> mpispawn is only spawning 1 mpi (MPISPAWN_LOCAL_NPROCS=1)
>> b) Set processor affinity off if mpispawn in running on a specific computer,
>> e.g. by looking in /etc/mpispawn.rc or similar.
>
> Okay, you're asking for some sort of configuration options based on
> either runtime conditions or preset configuration file(s).  We don't
> currently support this but can consider it for future releases.  Based
> on my first glance it appears that option a) should be possible.
>
> As you may already know, you can disable processor affinity by setting
> MV2_ENABLE_AFFINITY=0 on the mpirun_rsh command line if you want to
> globally disable this.  Either way, I'll discuss this with my team
> members to see whether we can take these situations into account.
>
> --
> Jonathan Perkins
> http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
Web: www.numis.northwestern.edu
Chair, Commission on Electron Crystallography of IUCR
www.numis.northwestern.edu/
Electron crystallography is the branch of science that uses electron
scattering to study the structure of matter.