[mvapich-discuss] Needs firewall setting for MPI

Satoshi Isono isono at cray.com
Mon Jul 13 00:37:41 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know FireWall configuration which allows MVAPICH code to
run. Which port do I have to open? I am using mpirun_rsh based on SSH.
Certainly, ssh command without password works.

   [craysp at t2k-0004 ~]$ ssh t2k-ps1 hostname
   t2k-ps1

   [craysp at t2k-0004 ~]$ ssh t2k-ps2 hostname
   t2k-ps2

t2k-0004 is login node, on where everyone launches mpirun_rsh command.
For two nodes, t2k-ps1 and t2k-ps2 are actually compute nodes. When
launching mpirun_rsh, but it fails with the following messages.

   gethostbyname: Host name lookup failure

   Child exited abnormally!
   cleanupKilling remote processes...gethostbyname: Host name lookup
failure
   DONE

It seems resolving hostname is fail. Can you please advise me or point
me checking files?

Regards,
Satoshi Isono