[mvapich-discuss] delay in spawning

Hossein Pourreza pourreza at cs.umanitoba.ca
Tue Feb 17 11:56:27 EST 2009

Hi,

I used to experience with a very long delay before execution of my tasks with
MVAPICH-0.9.8 and reported that problem. I was hopping to see a fix in the new
version but I still have the same problem with MVAPICH-1.2. The configuration of
my machine is: (I use SDR infiniband on PCI_X bus)

uname -v = Generic_137112-07

/usr/bin/uname -p = i386
/bin/uname -X     = System = SunOS
Node = power
Release = 5.10
KernelID = Generic_137112-07
Machine = i86pc
BusType = <unknown>
Serial = <unknown>
Users = <unknown>
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 4

/bin/arch              = i86pc
/usr/bin/arch -k       = i86pc
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
hostinfo               = unknown
/bin/machine           = unknown

If I try to run my program with processes more than the number of cores of one
node, I experience a very long delay before my task gets started. This delay
increases by increasing number of processes. I run my tasks using:

mpiexec -np xx ./myprog

I am using mpd as processes placement daemon.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.