[mvapich-discuss] Can't charm++ with mpicxx

Emilio Pasquale Mancini mancini at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 20 13:57:39 EDT 2009

Hi Bjoern,

On 08/20/2009 09:25 AM, Bjoern Olausson wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 August 2009 01:13:12 Emilio Pasquale Mancini wrote:
>
>> Hi Bjoern,
>> Take a look at:
>> http://mail.cse.ohio-state.edu/pipermail/mvapich-discuss/2009-March/002183.
>> html
>>

> Mmmh, actually I have OFED 1.3.2 installed (Scientific Linux SL release 5.3
> (Boron))
>
> But it seems as if removing -DXRC from CFLAGS made it at least compile.
>
> Anyway, this does not help compiling charm wit any version of mvapich I
> compiled on my own.
>

>> and
>> http://mail.cse.ohio-state.edu/pipermail/mvapich-discuss/2006-June/000189.h
>> tml
>>

> #define CMK_MALLOC_USE_GNU_MALLOC                          0
> #define CMK_MALLOC_USE_OS_BUILTIN                          1
>
> is default in charm 2.1.2

You mean 6.1.2?
> This problem remains unsolved (with all versions I compiled, including v1.1.
>

>> Let me known if this helps
>>

> No, sorry, didn't help, except that I am now able to compile mvapich v1.1.

I reproduced your error, it seems to be an issue of icc compiler. Using
gcc it works fine.
With icc you should disable optimizations, I used the following comman line:

./build charm++ mpi-linux-x86_64-mvapich icc -O -I<path to mpi>/include
-L<path to mpi>/lib --no-build-shared

Then I resume the charm++ compilation process for the mailinglist:

cd src/arch
cp -r mpi-linux-x86_64 mpi-linux-x86_64-mvapich
cd mpi-linux-x86_64-mvapich

Edit conv-mach.h and change (not necessary in Charm++ 6.1.2):

#define CMK_MALLOC_USE_GNU_MALLOC                          1
#define CMK_MALLOC_USE_OS_BUILTIN                          0

to:

#define CMK_MALLOC_USE_GNU_MALLOC                          0
#define CMK_MALLOC_USE_OS_BUILTIN                          1

Make sure the MVAPICH mpicc and mpiCC are first in your path. Otherwise,
add the full path to the mpicc and mpiCC commands in conv_mach.sh. If
the “build” command does not recognize the mpiCC compiler you can to
edit the conv-mach.sh file changing the line

MPICXX_DEF=mpicxx

to:

   #MPICXX_DEF=mpiCC
   MPICXX_DEF=mpicxx

./build charm++ mpi-linux-x86_64-mvapich --no-build-shared

or for icc compiler:

./build charm++ mpi-linux-x86_64-mvapich icc -O -I<path to mpi>/include
-L<path to mpi>/lib --no-build-shared

> Cheers
> Bjoern

Bye