[mvapich-discuss] mvapich2 mpirun_rsh bug

Tatek tgetachew at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 19:12:15 EDT 2008

Hello All,

There seems to be a bug with mvapich2 and mpirun_rsh command.  Once I install mvapich2, to execute mpiun_rsh command, I have to give the full path of the mpirun_rsh or it will not execute.  For example, I was trying to run mpiBench and after setting the PATH for the bin and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I would get the following

[root at t2k-0007 mpibench-0.1-3]# mpirun_rsh -np 2 -hostfile hosts5 ./mpiBench -i 100 Allreduce
/usr/bin/env: mpispawn: No such file or directory
Child exited abnormally!
cleanupKilling remote processes.../usr/bin/env: mpispawn: No such file or directory DONE

note that "which mpirun_rsh" shows the correct PATH so I had the PATH set correctly

[root at t2k-0007 mpibench-0.1-3]# which mpirun_rsh
/global/usr/mpi/mvapich2-1.2/pgi/bin/mpirun_rsh

If I give the full PATH then no problem.

[root at t2k-0007 mpibench-0.1-3]# /global/usr/mpi/mvapich2-1.2/pgi/bin/mpirun_rsh -np 2 -hostfile hosts5 ./mpiBench -i 100 Allreduce START mpiBench 0 : ddn-0268
1 : ddn-0302
Allreduce Bytes: 0 Iters: 100 Avg: 2.9612 Min: 2.9612 Max: 2.9612 Dim: 0 Ranks: 2
Allreduce Bytes: 8 Iters: 100 Avg: 6.4301 Min: 6.4087 Max: 6.4516 Dim: 0 Ranks: 2

After some investigation, one of my colleagues figured out the issue was that MVAPICH2 mpirun_rsh command gets the directory name from the name of the executable (passed to the program as the first argument) and starts mpispawn using this path. If the full path name is not supplied, the mpispawn program is started without a path and can't be found unless it happens to be in the default login path of the user. We think this is a bug in MVAPICH2's mpirun_rsh. It is reasonable to expect that if the MVAPICH2 binary directory is the PATH, issuing an mpirun_rsh command should work.

We have a workaround for now by either using the full PATH or using wrapper scripts but ideally, this should work same as it did with mvapich1.

Best Regards,

Tatek Getachew
Solutions Engineer, HPC Solutions Engineering
Appro International, Inc.
446 South Abbott Ave
Milpitas, CA 95035
408-941-8100 x504 (office)