[mvapich-discuss] Intel AMD run

Lei Chai chai.15 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 2 14:41:52 EDT 2008

Yogeshwar,

> Thanks for the reply. It is working now.
> As per suggestion, we are using same binary compiled on either one
> machine, shared on other.
> Earlier we were compiling both mvapich2 & pallas separately on both
> the machines.

Glad to know it's working now.

> Now, any recommendations related to, on which machine should we
> compile (intel OR amd) ?
> OR any one will do ? any previous observation about performance
> difference because of platform
> specific thresholds for performance optimizations ?

We haven't done performance tuning on such heterogeneous systems. I
suppose either machine will do. Please let us know if you observe
interesting performance differences.

> One more pt, as jasjit said,
>

>>> I tried one other variation by compiliing MPI (udapl) without two flags
>>> namely _SMP_ and RDMA_FAST_PATH.
>>> Then also it was running finely.
>>> So does it have anything to do with RDMA_FAST_PATH flag ?
>>>

> The above compilation was done separately on both the machines, still
> it is working.
> Any thing related to this ?

The _SMP_ flags shouldn't make a difference since it only controls
parameters within a node. I guess most platform specific parameters are
associated with RDMA_FAST_PATH. The parameters that are not controlled
by RDMA_FAST_PATH are either the same for these two systems or they
don't cause protocol mismatch.

Lei