[mvapich-discuss] Problems with mvapich, gfortan and rhel4?

Jonathan L. Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Aug 1 12:02:07 EDT 2008

Michael:
Thank you for using mvapich.  I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing
problems with building Fortran90 programs.  If possible, can you send me
the configure and make logs from the mvapich installation.  Also, can
you send the full output from an attempt to build a Fortran90 mpi
program.  It will also be good if you can provide a reproducer program
that we can try locally.

At this point I cannot say whether multiple versions of the compiler
being present is the source of the problem or not.  Is the PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables the same as of the time of the installation?

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 01:18:43PM -0500, Mike Heinz wrote:
> I've been building test clusters using OFED 1.3.1, which includes
> mvapich. One of the problems I've been running into is odd problems with
> Fortran90 programs. These programs fail to compile with odd messages
> that make me think that mvapich failed to build incorrectly. For
> example:
>
> Fatal Error: Reading module mpi at line 4 column 61: Expected left
> parenthesis
>
> >From the message, it would appear that mpi.f90 is faulty. But mpi.f90
> appears to be created by mvapich during the build process (of mvapich)
> and then deleted, which makes it hard to determine for sure.
>
> The one thing I can say is that these machines have both gcc version 3
> and gcc version 4 compilers installed and that the default gcc and
> fortran compilers are the version 3 ones. Is it possible that this is
> causing the problem?
>
> --
> Michael Heinz
> Principal Engineer, Qlogic Corporation