[mvapich-discuss] libmpichf90.so?

Shaun Rowland rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Sep 10 19:26:22 EDT 2007

Troy Telford wrote:
> When building MVAPICH 0.9.9, I notice that 'libmpichf90.a' is built, but I
> can't find a corresponding 'libmpichf90.so'
>
> This is a problem for me as I have a codebase that is expecting to link
> against libmpichf90.so (ie. a shared lib rather than a static lib).
>
> Is there a way to get a shared library for libmpichf90?
>
> Was there _ever_ a way to get a shared library for libmpichf90 (and it is just
> disabled?)

It isn't disabled. The MPICH base does not build the F90 library as
shared. I've taken a look at the top-level Makefile.in that builds the
Fortran 77 shared library, and even though it builds a shared library,
it still puts the farg.o initf.o objects into a static library named
libfmpichfarg.a. I believe the note in the Makefile.in relevant to this
says:

# The ar at the end puts the Fortran MPI_Init and the routine that
# it calls to get getarg and iargc into a separate library.  This
# is needed for shared lib support
# Note that if there is no Fortran support, then we don't build the farg
# library

I am not sure what can be done about this right now. It might be
possible to build the Fortran 90 library in a similar way, but the
excluded farg90.o would probably need to be dealt with in some similar
way. We can try and look into this, but I don't have a solution at the
moment unfortunately.
Shaun Rowland	rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~rowland/