[mvapich-discuss] MPI blocking mode progress with 10GbE/ iWARP

Ken Cain kcain at mc.com
Mon Oct 15 08:35:34 EDT 2007

Hello Sundeep,

Thank you for your response. I have some additional questions below.

Sundeep Narravula wrote:

>Hi ken,
>

>>I am investigating if it will be possible to achieve blocking mode
>>progress (not polling) using an MPI library on a 10GbE/iWARP cluster.
>>The MVAPICH2 library parameter MV2_USE_BLOCKING describes what I am
>>looking for, but I believe it applies only to the Gen2 InfiniBand
>>transport. Is this true? Is blocking mode progress being considered for
>>inclusion in the Gen2-iWARP transport in a future MVAPICH2 release? How
>>difficult (or reasonably possible) is this to do by modifying the
>>Gen2-iWARP transport source code, either on my own or by the MVAPICH2
>>team? Is there an inherent problem unique to 10GbE?
>>

>Currently, full support for blocking mode is not enabled for the
>Gen2-iWARP device in mvapich2. You should be able to run mvapich2 in
>blocking mode but currently this will not handle more than one process per
>node. We plan to include full blocking support in mvapich2 for
>the Gen2-iWARP device soon.

I would like to run mvapich2 in blocking mode (i.e., do not take up any
CPU while waiting for incoming messages).  I would like this even when I
am running one MPI process per node. What are the prerequisites to
achieve this using the current Gen2-iWARP transport? Should I simply use
the MV2_USE_BLOCKING parameter (knowing that it is documented to only
work for the Gen2-InfiniBand transport)? Or do I need to take into
account additional parameters such as the threading support parameter to
the mvapich2 library build?

Thank you,

-Ken