[mvapich-discuss] MPI blocking mode progress with 10GbE/ iWARP

Sundeep Narravula narravul at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Oct 12 14:53:25 EDT 2007

Hi ken,

> I am investigating if it will be possible to achieve blocking mode
> progress (not polling) using an MPI library on a 10GbE/iWARP cluster.
> The MVAPICH2 library parameter MV2_USE_BLOCKING describes what I am
> looking for, but I believe it applies only to the Gen2 InfiniBand
> transport. Is this true? Is blocking mode progress being considered for
> inclusion in the Gen2-iWARP transport in a future MVAPICH2 release? How
> difficult (or reasonably possible) is this to do by modifying the
> Gen2-iWARP transport source code, either on my own or by the MVAPICH2
> team? Is there an inherent problem unique to 10GbE?

Currently, full support for blocking mode is not enabled for the
Gen2-iWARP device in mvapich2. You should be able to run mvapich2 in
blocking mode but currently this will not handle more than one process per
node. We plan to include full blocking support in mvapich2 for
the Gen2-iWARP device soon.

> I'm making some assumptions with my questions above. One for example is
> that MVAPICH (VIADEV_USE_BLOCKING) is not a candidate solution because
> MVAPICH does not run on 10GbE/iWARP clusters. Perhaps I am wrong with
> this assumption?

You are correct here. mvapich does not currently support 10GbE/iWARP
devices. You will need to use mvapich2 for this.

Regards,
  --Sundeep.