[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH IB /tmp files

Mark Potts potts at hpcapplications.com
Sun Jun 3 10:04:04 EDT 2007

Hi,
   I'm observing files created during MVAPICH app startup and need
   to understand their purpose.  Their existence seems related to a
   configuration problem on an IB x86_64 cluster system.  I'm
   using MVAPICH-0.9.9 ch_gen2 singlerail and the app is quite simple.

    The 3 files are named:     /tmp/ib_pool-NNN-nodename.tmp
                               /tmp/ib_shmem-NNN-nodename.tmp
                               /tmp/ib_shmem_coll-NNN-nodename.tmp
   where "NNN" is the MPIRUN_ID of the app and "nodename" is the name
   of the compute node on which the files are found.  On some nodes
   the files are empty and on others they have significant binary (non-
   text) content.

   Since these files are not created for all run-time selections
   of compute nodes, I'm trying to understand two things:
   (1) Under what circumstances are these files generated or not, and
   (2) what is the intended content of these files that leaves some
       empty and others "filled"?

   Thanks.
        regards,
--