[mvapich-discuss] Problems with running mpi applications

Eric Zhang maillistbox at 126.com
Tue Jan 9 22:37:26 EST 2007

Hi, mvapich-discuss:

I am a newbie of MVAPICH. I have a cluster installed CentOS 4.4 -- which
embedded the OFED packages(under /usr/ofed directory). All infiniband
drivers and libraries have been installed and I have configured IPoIB,
it also works well.

Now I am trying to install MVAPICH so that I can run my MPI applications
over Infiniband. I modified make.mvapich.gen2 script(set the IBHOME to
/usr/ofed, and set the IBHOMELIB to /usr/ofed/lib64, this directory
contains libibverbs.so, libibcommon.so....., etc.), the installation was
successful (MVAPICH recognized my HCA adapter -- Mellonox PCI-Express
SDR, and it seems that there were no errors during configure, make and
install).

Then I wrote a simple mpihello.c program to verify the installation.
This program just printf "helloworld" in every process. I used mpicc to
compile it and when I run it, the problem occurs:

[eric at cfx1 testcodes]$ /usr/local/mvapich/bin/mpirun -np 4 -hostfile
hostfile2 mpihello
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libopensm.so:
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libopensm.so: undefined symbol: ib_error_str
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libopensm.so:
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libopensm.so: undefined symbol: ib_error_str
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libopensm.so:
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libopensm.so: undefined symbol: ib_error_str
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libopensm.so:
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libopensm.so: undefined symbol: ib_error_str
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmcomp-1.2.1.so:
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmcomp-1.2.1.so: undefined symbol: osm_log
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmcomp.so:
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmcomp.so: undefined symbol: osm_log
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmvendor-1.2.1.so:
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmvendor-1.2.1.so: undefined symbol:
ib_error_str
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmvendor.so:
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmvendor.so: undefined symbol: ib_error_str
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmvendor_openib.so:
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband/libosmvendor_openib.so: undefined symbol:
ib_error_str
mpirun: executable version 1 does not match our version 3.
done.

I have two questions here:

1. Why the libibverbs wants to find the libraries in
/usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband directory? The libraries are under
/usr/ofed/lib64 directory but I still copied all the libraries files
into the /usr/ofed/lib64/infiniband, whereas the problems still exist.

2. What does the error messages list above mean? How to solve it? I have
also tried the command: /usr/local/mvapich/bin/mpirun_rsh -np 4
-hostfile ./hostfile2 ./mpihello , this also cannot be executed, the
error message is the same.

Thanks. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Eric Zhang
2007-01-10